Lessons and classes with James Brown are offered at the
Royal Conservatory School and his West Toronto Studio location
- University and College auditions
- Fretboard knowledge
- RCM exams
(take your first exam for free: grade 1-4)
Past students have gone on to study at leading schools including:
- Berkeley College (in Boston)
- Humber College
- University of Toronto
- York University
Theory instruction and tutoring with James Brown.
Learn theory as it applies to the music you enjoy playing.
- Fretboard harmony
- Scale/Chord theory
- Lead sheet interpretation.
- RCM theory exam preparation
(first exam is free: grade 1-4)
- harmony and counterpoint.
Visit www.jamesbrown.ca for more information.Read more »
James Brown has been praised for his abilities as a composer, guitarist, improviser, and teacher.
Visit James Brown‘s personal website.
He has appeared with many of Canadian and international Artists including The Toronto Symphony Orchestra (with Eric Idol) , Toronto Philharmonia, and Sound Streams Canada (with The Hilliard Ensemble, and Steve Reich).
James’ compositions have been performed and recorded by many leading artists and ensembles including; Orchestra Toronto, Jeffery McFadden and The Montreal Guitar Trio.
James is currently on Faculty at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto where he teaches guitar and Jazz improvisation.His most recent CD “Sevendaze” features a stellar Canadian Jazz line up including;Don Thompson, Quinsin Nachoff, Jim Vivan and Anthony Michelli.
- “a vibrant and inventive CD” Whole Note Magazine
- “Effortless virtuosity ” The Waterloo Record
- “a bold new voice has joined the T.O. Guitar ranks.” Geoff Chapman, The Toronto Star
- “…James Brown is exploratory, inventive with a natural fluency and a ton of endless, intriguing ideas.” Performing Arts magazine
Read more »